Kanye West (June 8, 1977)
He might be controversial but there’s no denying that Kanye is one of the most successful artists of his time. Kanye West is known for his music (producer & rapper), fashion, creativity, wife and ego.
“He says outrageous things, but he is also unfairly misunderstood too. He is all about innovating in a creative capacity.”
Kanye West started making music when he was 13. When he was 15 he met hip-hop and R&B music producer No. I.D. who became his mentor. Kanye West received a scholarship to Chicago’s American Academy of Art but dropped out when he was 20 to pursue his music career.
Kanye West started out in the music industry as a producer and got his first credits aged 19 when he produced some tracks for rapper Grav. He then formed and became a member and producer of rap group the Go-Getters. In the late Nineties he produced records for artists such as Foxy Brown and Harlem World before landing a job at Roc-A-Fella Records in 2000, where he was credited with helping to revitalise Jay-Z’s career because of his contributions to his influential 2001 album The Blueprint.
Despite being a successful producer, Kanye’s dream was to become a rapper.
Then, after a near-fatal crash in 2002 which left him with a shattered jaw, he was inspired to write Through The Wire which would become his debut single and laid the foundations for his debut album The College Dropout (number two in the Billboard 200; near-universal critical acclaim; top album of the year by Rolling Stone magazine; Best rap Album at the 2005 Grammys).
The following year he toured the world supporting U2 on their Vertigo Tour, which inspired his third album Graduation, which debuted at number one on the Billboard 200.
Kanye West went on to make five more albums, the most recent being The Life of Pablo which he released in 2016, and saw his first six LPs go platinum.
- 21 Grammy Awards
- Three BRITs
- Five MTV awards
- Six MOBOs
- Two American Music awards
- Three NME awards.
Kanye West, the rapper, fashion designer, and self-proclaimed genius, has in recent years become a lightning rod for controversy as he increasingly embraces a new role: disruptor.
Here are some “controversies” that made Kanye West famous:
- Kanye Interrupts Taylor Swift At MTV’s Video Music Awards (Sept. 13, 2009)
- DW Kanye West Debuts At Paris Fashion Week (Oct. 1, 2011)
- West Leaves Nike For Adidas (Dec. 3, 2013)
- Kanye West And Kim Kardashian Land The Cover Of Vogue (March 24, 2014)
- Kanye West’s Laptop Is “Stolen” (March 11, 2015)
- Twitter Feud With Wiz Khalifa (Jan. 27, 2016)
- The “Bill Cosby Innocent” Tweet (Feb. 9, 2016)
- “Famous” Debuts (Feb. 11, 2016)
- West Tweets He Is $53 Million In Debt (Feb. 15, 2016)
- Kanye West Releases The “Famous” Music Video (June 24, 2016)
- Kim Kardashian Snapchats Footage Of Taylor Swift Approving Kanye West’s “Famous” Lyrics (July 17, 2016)
- Yeezy Season 4 Fashion Show Disaster (Sept. 7, 2016)
- Kim Kardashian Is Robbed In Paris During Kanye West’s Festival Set (Oct. 2, 2016)
- West Ends Saint The Pablo Tour Early After Episodes Where He Supported Trump and Bashed Jay-Z (Nov. 19, 2016)
- West Meets Trump (Dec. 13, 2016)
- West Returns To Twitter To Share Philosophy (April 13, 2018)
- West’s TMZ Interview Goes Haywire (May 1, 2018)
- West Holds The SNL Cast Hostage Onstage While Giving A Bizarre Speech (Sept. 29, 2018)
- Trump And West Have A Light Lunch (Oct. 11, 2018)
Calling Kanye west an artist or not, Kanye is certainly one of the most prominent representatives of the time we live in.
Only the future will show how much “Ye” has influenced culture and art. What is your opinion? Is Kanye an artist? How important is Kanye West?
Source: The Sun